How Can You Help?
Help us support families who are going through a hard time in this community and surrounding communities. By supporting HKTS you are making a lasting difference in the lives of women and children who access our services. There are many ways you can support HKTS:
Han Knakst Tsitxw Society gratefully accepts donations of new/gently used items for our clients and community members.
The items listed below are need on an ongoing basis:
Seasonally appropriate clothing for men, women and children in all sizes, shoes and kitchen items.
*Please wash all clothing items before dropping them off. Thank you.
Items we cannot accept in due to health reasons are: used under garments, used bath toys, battery operated toys, car seats that are close to expiry date, mattress or box springs, opened personal hygiene products, any large appliances, and old exercise equipment. We no longer accept books or magazines.
Food Protection Services (BC Centre for Disease Control) does not allow us to accept any open food items, unpasteurized dairy products, home-canned vegetables/fruit, home-canned meat/fish product or combination products, uninspected wild game, due to the uncertainty of the health of the animal before its death or any fish.*
*When accepting fresh fish or wild game it has to come right to the Transition House from where it was caught/trapped/shot.
All individual cash donations goes into the services we provide and events we host or participate in throughout the year such as:
- Annual ‘Walk to End Violence against Women’
- Nlha’7kapmx Child and Family Services-‘Family Culture Camp’
- Women’s Wellness Day
- National Addictions Week
- Men’s Wellness Day
- Mother’s Day BBQ
To make an individual donation please Send a cheque addressed to:
Han Knakst Tsitxw Society
P.O Box 144
Han Knakst Tsitxw Society is a registered charity and all gifts over $20 receive a tax-deductible receipt.
Charity # 89041 2398 RR0001
If you have any questions about giving, or would like more information about any of the events we host or participate in, please contact us:
Volunteering with Han Knakst Tsitxw Society is an opportunity to make a worthwhile contribution to your community and support vital work that we do.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Health and Wellness – Qualified practitioners of therapies such as yoga, reiki, reflexology etc. may be interested in offering these skills to our clients or at the Women’s or Men’s Drop-in
- Child care – When we hold workshops for clients and past clients sometimes we are need of someone to watch their children
- Donations – Sometimes we get overwhelmed with the donations we receive that we do not always have time to sort thru them
We also welcome students who need to do a practicum in Social Services.
How to come a volunteer:
1) Fill out a Volunteer Application Form
2) Attend a volunteer interview
Successful applicants will then be invited to:
3) Complete a criminal record check